Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR2684 - Sir John Port's Almshouses, Church Hill, Etwall

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The hospital at Etwall was founded by Sir John Porte in 1556 for six poor persons and was apparently rebuilt in 1681 (there is an inscription on the front). Sixteen almsmen were recorded in 1817. Etwall Hospital (3) or Sir John Port's Almshouses was founded by Sir John Port by will in 1557 and rebuilt in 1676 (2) although Pevsner refers to the foundation date as 1550 and the rebuilding as 1681. The brick-built building on three sides of a courtyard has an east wing comprising one storey and attic dwellings. In good condition and still occupied. See ground photo. (1-4) The almshouses are a grade II* building. 1681 and c1690, with minor later repairs, built by governors of the former Sir John Port almshouses. Red brick with stone dressings, quoins, copings to plinth and first floor stringcourse. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs with ridgeback copings and moulded kneelers, plus large brick rear wall stacks with stone dressings, those to north range having a T-plan and three diamond section brick pots linked at the top. Each cottage is a single bay and is single storied plus attic. There are 16 cottages in all, 12 of which are built round three sides of a courtyard and another four, joined on later to the east at the southern end of the courtyard. To the centre of the north range is pedimented archway through the building. The arch has a semi-circular head with raised keystone and imposts, moulded edges and is set in an ogee moulded flat headed recess. Above is a moulded stringcourse and an inscribed marble plaque in bolection moulded surround, 'Sir John Port, Knight, son to Sir John Port one of the justices of the court of Kings Bench haufing by his last will left an estate for the erection and endowment of a free schole at Repton and a hospitall in this place, departed this life June VI MDLVII. The which foundation having been accordingly established. This hospitall through length of time falling into decay was rebuilt, the sallarys increased, the alms men augmented from VI to XII. The Right Honourable Theophilus, late of Huntingdon, the Right Honourable Philip, Earl of Chesterfield and S William Gerrard, Baronet. Hiers generale to the founder being governors MDCLXXXI'. Above again, three painted coat of arms set in cartouches within moulded surrounds, each with mask to top, set within scrollwork. Plain frieze and swan-neck scrolled open pediment with central achievement above. To either side two cottages, each with central chamfered, four-centred arched doorcase, flanked by 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows with diamond leaded lights. Above, full dormer with ridgeback copings to gable and central 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion with dripmould. To east and west, four similar cottages and attached to east by a stone, four-centred arched doorcase, four more similar cottages. Interiors very simple with wider staircases. The railings, gatepiers and gates to the south of the almshouses are also grade II*. They are of the early 18th century and 1849. The wrought-iron gates are by Robert Bakewell and originally came from Etwall Hall. They were re-erected after restoration in 1984. The railings were set up in 1849 by the Trustees of the Almshouses when the almsmen rioted. (5)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • --- Unpublished document: Morris, M. 2011. Etwall Conservation Area: Character Statement.
  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Repton RD Oct 1960 12..
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p212.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 BHS 28-JUL-66.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of South Derbyshire, Aug 1985, 13-14..
  • <6> Index: TPAT. 2213. 2213.



Grid reference Centred SK 2688 3206 (63m by 47m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR5214
  • EDR1460

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 18 2024 6:38PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.