Monument record MDR3976 - Brightside Sough, Main Street, Calver
Type and Period (1)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1730 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Originally known as Calver new sough and probably started 1730. Stopped at Busks Mine in 1750. Lay idle until 1775 when it was extended to Brightside mine, finishing in 1782. A brance level from Backdale mine to Deep Rake was started in 1840's but stopped quite soon when it hit toadstone. The sough tail empties into water troughs, although these are silted up which prevents access. The site is of local historical interest. (2) A well-preserved, arched but silted, sough bolt leading to a restored water trough with well steps. (3)
- <1> SDR4843 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History and gazetteer of the lead mine soughs of Derbyshire. p. 35.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Willies, L : 18/1/82 : C140.
- <3> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No. B10, p176.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2426 7446 (16m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CALVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 24 2018 4:48PM