Building record MDR4243 - Highlow Hall and Associated Buildings
Type and Period (4)
- MANOR HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building (I)
Highlow Hall is a particularly interesting manor place of 16th cent. origin with some late 18th cent. refashioning. Irregular plan. Stone - largely ashlar faced - with stone slated roofs and stone stacks. Front on west is embattled with two-storeyed porch. Stone mullioned windows and some sashes in later portion. Grade I. (1-2) See G.P. AO/65/113/4. (3) 2/61 29-9-51 Highlow Hall GV II* Small manor house. Late C16 with mid C17 refashioning and late C18 additions. Mainly ashlar gritstone, with some coursed rubble work, with ashlar dressings, crenellated parapets to south west elevation, intermediate and gable end ashlar stacks, together with a massive external stack to north east side wall. Stone slates and Welsh slates. Irregular 'L' plan, obscured by alterations and additions. South west elevation; two storeys, four bays, with advanced two storey porch at junction of earlier house and later additions. Porch with moulded merlons to crenellations, above a dripmould to the head of an early C17 2-light ovolo moulded mullioned window with leaded lights. Below, a refashioned moulded surround to the doorway, with a planked and studded door. To the south east of the doorway, the gable of the added C18 range with C19 sash windows and casements. A single semi-circular headed light at first floor level accompanies a similar window in the adjacent C17 range. To the north west of the doorway, a two bay hall, with a two storey bay window to the end bay. Each hall bay has a tall 2-light chamfer mullioned window with leaded lights, below a stringcourse with a shallower 2-light opening above, below a stringcourse with embattled parapet above. The crenellations are returned around the north west corner, which is chamfered. The north east elevation has a catslide roof to the north west end, and a 3-light chamfer mullioned window with dripmould, above two plain doorways of different heights. Further to the south, an external stack shouldered on the south east side and with the seatings for two diagonally set stone chimneys, now removed. The adjoining C18 range has 2-light flush mullioned windows to the north west elevation, and sash windows without glazing bars to the south east front. A stone doorway with plain jambs to the north west elevation is enclosed by a C19 half glazed lean-to. Interior; the C17 range contains an unaltered two bay hall, with a cambered ceiling comprised of twelve panels framed with deeply undercut moulded beams. The hall has a C17 hearth with a massive chamfered flat lintel and quoins, with a doorway which has been cut into the rear wall of the hearth. There is a later smaller hearth with a plain surround to north west gable. The hall also has a wide C17 turned baluster open well stair of two flights, leading to the former solar, now much obscured by C20 partitions, but containing a fine late C17 moulded hearth surround to the north east end. Elsewhere, various C17 panelled doors, and a moulded plaster cornice to the porch entrance. 2/62 12-7-67 Gateway to Highlow Hall GV II* Gateway. Early C17. Ashlar gritstone with a chamfered semi-circular arch rising from quoined supporting walls. The springing stones for the arch also form the base for smaller circular columns which flank the archway. These have moulded bases and captials which, together with the arch, support a projecting moulded capping band, with ball finials above the columns at either end. Above the arch head, a base for further ornament, with sloping sides and scroll terminals. 2/63 Garden House to the west of 12-7-67 Highlow Hall (formerly listed as Garden House to Highlow Hall GV II Garden House. c1700. Ashlar gritstone rising from a chamered plinth on a quoined rubble base, with a plain eaves band, and a pyramidal stone slated roof with an acorn finial to the apex. Two storeys, square on plan. North east elevation has a window opening immediately above the doorway which projects upwards through the rubble base into the ashlar work. The openings have projecting flat-faced surrounds. The doorway has a plain planked door, the window has a squat timber door to its upper part, the lower part now being blocked. 2/64 Gate piers, flanking walls 12-7-67 and wall linking Highlow Hall and the flanking walls (formerly listed as two pairs of gate piers at Highlow Hall GV II) Gate piers and garden walls. Early C18. Ashlar gritstone, square in section, and rising from a shallow plinth, with dripmould below boldly projecting moulded caps without finials. Adjoining garden walls of coursed rubble gritstone, with chamfered ashlar copings extend to north west and south east of the gate piers, and form the north east boundary of a walled enclosure to the south west of Highlow Hall. Linking the Hall to the enclosure wall is a taller wall of coursed rubble with a chamfered ashlar coping and a quoined doorway at the juntion of the wall and the house. 2/65 Gate piers and flanking walls 12.7.67 south east of Garden House at Highlow Hall (Item 63, formerly listed as two pairs of gate piers at Highlow Hall GV II) Gate piers and garden walls. Early C18. Ashlar gritstone, square in section and risin from a shallow plinth, with a dripmould below holding projecting moulded caps without finials. Adjoining garden walls extend to north west and south east, of rubble gritstone, with half-round copings. 2/66 Farm Outbuilding the north east of Highlow Hall GV II Farm outbuilding, formerly combined piggery and henhouse. Mid C18. Coursed rubble gritstone with quoins and stone slates. Low two storey building with henhouse above piggery, the former approached by a stone stairway at the south east end. To the south west, a walled enclosure incorporating two feeding troughs and a water trough, which passes under the stone steps. Stepped chamfered copings to enclosure wall. Listed for group value only. 2/67 Barn to the north east of 12.7.67 Highlow Hall (formerly listed as barns to Highlow Hall) GV II Barn. Mid C17. Coursed rubble gritstone with quoins, ashlar dressings, coped gables and concrete tiles. Single storey, with overloft added at south east end. Four roof bays, with off-centre full height double opening to threshing bay, with quoined surround and segmental arched head. Planked double doors. Four single doorways to the south east of the tall doorway, mostly with chamfered, quoined surrounds, one with a tooled flat lintel, and that to the south east end with a cambered head to the lintel. Plain plank doors. Ventilation slits at four levels. Dovecote in south east gable with six tiers of perches, diminishing in width and pairs of round-headed entry holes. Interior; tie beam trusses with cambered tie beams, angle struts and collars, supporting a double purlin roof. Large quoined opening to upper part of north west gable gives access to overloft of adjoining cowhouse. 2/68 Farm Outbuilding attached to the north east end of the barn to the north east of Highlow Hall (Item 67) GV II Farm outbuilding. Early C17 with C18 alterations. Coursed rubble gritstone with quoins, plain gable to north west end, and a stone slated roof. Two storeys, having been raised in C18, with six ground floor doorways with cambered heads to lintels, four now partially blocked to form windows, with glazing bar frames with lower sections pivoted. Between the doorways, four former 2-light recessed chamfer mullioned windows, now with mullions removed. At first floor level, two taking-in doors beneath plain lintels, together with several irregularly-spaced ventilation slits. (4)
- <1> SDR8389 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <3> SDR6364 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-SEP-65.
- <4> SDR5486 Bibliographic reference:
- <6> SDR17238 Index: OS. SK 28 SW 39. SK 28 SW 39.
- <7> SDR17239 Index: NDAT. 1238. 1238.
- <8> SDR6877 Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire. p367.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2191 8010 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2000 12:00AM