Monument record MDR4329 - Cropmarks south of Willington Road, Willington Junction
Type and Period (3)
- RING DITCH (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Cropmarks of an irregular enclosure, a ring ditch, and linear features, visible at Findern. (1) Nothing visible on O.S. air photographs. (2) Straggly enclosures showing on aerial photograph continuing to the north (SMR 19902). (3) Cropmarks plotted on map overlay, 1:10,000. (4) The cropmarks lie on the gravel terrace plateau on the northern side of the River Trent. The group of cropmarks (at SK 307295) show part of a large irregular-oval, single-ditched, enclosure superimposed upon a series of linear single-ditch cropmarks, one of which has a D-shaped enclosure appended to its south side. More indistinct linear cropmarks, possibly pits or short gulleys, lie immediately adjacent. To the east, part of a less distinct single-ditch quadrilateral enclosure is bisected by a modern field boundary. It is probable that the features are of Iron Age or Romano-British date, as similar systems of rectilinear land-division and quadrilateral enclosure have been excavated nearby, e.g. at Willington. (5)
- <1> SDR15781 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Comm Gaz c 1980 7 TVARC No 2031.
- <2> SDR1454 Aerial Photograph: 1967. APs (OS 67/012 186-7 21.3.67).
- <3> SDR1247 Aerial Photograph: 1970. AP: NMR: Pickering, J.: 1970: 29,30/237; 3029/1,6,7,8,10.
- <4> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <5> SDR19041 Unpublished document: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). 1992. Archaeology of the Derby Southern Bypass, Implication of the Construction of the Bypass Between Hilton and the M1.. pp. 30-33.
|Grid reference||SK 30703 29601 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FINDERN, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2016 3:47PM