[SK 3102 7833] Old Hall [G.T.] Fanshaw Gate [T.I.] (1)
Fanshawegate Hall Farm. Two pairs of elaborate 17th cent. Garden gateposts now lead only to a farmhouse with low mullioned windows, probably an outbuilding of the former Hall which was apparently dismantled in 1636. To its east is a dovecote. (2)
Fanshawe Gate Hall (Farm) is a two-storey, L-shaped rubble house of 17th century date. It was presumably a subsidiary building to the original hall, the seat of the Fanshawe family. Grade 2. The two pairs of rusticated gatepiers are also 17th century. Grade 2. (3)
It has been suggested by Vanessa Doe that the hall was reduced in size in 1636 and lowered in 1825 and that the farmhouse is what is left. It has a vaulted cellar, entered through a trapdoor and possible late Norman elements in the present dining room. There is a well near the front gate, a dovecote and a 30m (90ft) tithe barn. (4)
Range of 17th century listed farm buildings built from coursed coal measures sandstone. The Farm house is L-shaped in plan, two storeys, with a smaller added parallel range to the rear. The interior has been much altered but there is a good ground floor hearth and 17th century spine beams and joists may be seen. The cottage is two storeys high, built into a bank at the western end, with an additional single storey dwelling at first floor level above what may originally have been a stable. There is an external staircase which leads up to a blocked inserted opening. The outbuilding is two storeys with a full height opening at the north-west end, with quoined surround. Queen strut roof trusses support a double purlin roof. It has been listed for group value. The Dovecote is attached to the cottage and is a single bay structure of three storeys with attic level used as the dovecote. The gatepiers at the entrance to the complex, and attached coursed rubble-sandstone boundary walls are also listed. The northern set of gatepiers are built of rusticated ashlar with boldly projecting cornice supporting acorn finials on curved pyramidal stems. Scroll brackets link the flanking walls to the piers. The southern set of gatepiers are plain ashlar, each with a moulded cornice, supporting clusters of four balls, which themselves support a second cornice. Upon this upper cornice rests the stem for a ball finial. Linking the two pairs of gatepiers are stone walls, 2 metres high and 20 metres in length. Extending 15 metres to the east and 10 metres to the west of the northern gatepiers, are stone boundary walls 1.5 and 2 metres high which enclose gardens to either side. The eastern wall has a quoined door surround, with a plain stone lintel. See list descriptions for more details. (5)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1055728, 1057693, 1335101, 1366650, 1109633.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3102 7830 (41m by 82m) (Centre)
HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2018 1:58PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.