Locko Park. Country house. 1669, c1725-30 attributed to Francis Smith of Warwick, mid 18th cent, late 18th cent, 1804, Italianate style additions of 1853-6 and 1861-4, both by Henry Stevens of Derby, and 1896. Grade II*. (1)
Large stone mansion approached from the south by a pair of pretty 18th century lodges. The mansion is nine bays wide, three storeys high, with emphasis on the rusticated giant pilasters at the angles and at the angles of the five-bay centre. At either end, one-storey projecting wings, that on the west side older than the main house and containing the chapel, built in 1669. The chapel was refurbished in 1882 and again in 1899. It contains an unusual 17th century wooden font. The east wing was probably added in the interest of Palladian symmetry after William Drury-Lowe bought the estate in 1747. Large additions to the house were made in a restrained Italianate style by Henry Stevens of Derby, starting with the bell-tower in 1853-6, and following on the east side in 1861-4 with a new entrance porch, hall and dining room. The east front was extended in 1896 by a billiards room. At Locko in the Middle Ages (c. 1297-1347) was the only preceptory of the Lazarite order in England. (2)
Locko Park (listed grade II*) probably originated in the late 17th century. A sketch on an estate map of 1716 shows a gabled H- or U-plan house with a chapel attached on the south-west side. It was remodelled c. 1725-30, possibly by Francis Smith of Warwick, and a major campaign of alterations took place in the mid-19th century to the designs of Henry Stevens of Derby. The chapel is dated 1669 and was perhaps the only part of the building left untouched by Smith. The house is ranged around a central courtyard and the main entrance on the east side. It is in use as a private residence [in 1998]. (3)
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Buildings Dist of Erewash. Derby 6 Nov 1986 13-14.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 264-5.
Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 10: Derbyshire. Locko Park, PG1672.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4096 3865 (63m by 63m) (Centre)
DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 24 2012 2:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.