Skip to main content

Monument record MDR6114 - Earthwork, Castle Hill, Eckington

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

An earthwork site labelled 'Roman Camp (remains of)' appears at this location on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. (1) "A square intrenchment" on the hill west of Eckington Church was described in 1829 as "perfect", and Haverfield describes it as earthworks of uncertain age. (2, 3) Field work by RCHM showed that the square entrenchment on Castle Hill, 600ft west of Eckington parish church, visible as a soil mark, enclosed a quarter of an acre. It was probably walled originally with an entrance at the south-west corner, and was perhaps an Iron Age homestead. (4, 5) Documentary evidence proves that the enclosure was a bowling green in 1796 but it may have an earlier origin, possibly being the moat hall mentioned in the 1650 Parliamentary Survey of Eckington. It is probably older than 18th century although unlikely to be prehistoric as formerly suggested. The name Castle Hill does not appear until the later 19th century. (7) This work is represented by a level platform - now under cereal. The only surveyable feature is a pronounced lynchet on the south-east side, 22.0m in length with a maximum height of 1.1m. The bank to the east is the result of modern terracing above a refuse tip (still in use); there is no surface evidence of either walling or entrance. The documentary evidence for a Bowling Green is strong, the size is acceptable for a green and the site is obviously the easiest spot for levelling hereabouts. I can offer no parallel to suggest the feature as historic or Roman. Lynchet surveyed at 1/1250. (8) There is no known dating evidence for this earthwork. (9) The monument was scheduled in 1961 (6), but has since been descheduled under the Monuments Protection Programme.

Sources/Archives (9)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Glover, S. 1831. The History and Gazetteer of the County of Derby. p 247.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p 257.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Ramm, H. 1958. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, Vol. 1. p 1.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: RCHME. 1963. Threatened or Destroyed Monuments. p 13.
  • <6> Scheduling record: A.M's Eng. Wales, 1961, 32 (M.O.W.).
  • <7> Unpublished document: Letter from H G Ramm (of RCHM) dated March 17 1966.
  • <8> Personal Observation: F1 FC 31-MAY-66.
  • <9> Index: NDAT. 0800. 0800.



Grid reference Centred SK 4300 7975 (53m by 46m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1517

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 20 2017 4:03PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.