SK 52426848. Romano-British building inside rectangular enclosure; probable native farmstead. Excavations by S O Kay revealed the foundations of a rectangular building, 81 feet long and between 30 and 40 feet wide, with a row of post-holes in the interior suggesting that it was of basilican type. (The area where a second row of post-holes would have been situated was outside the limit of the excavation). No roofing tiles were found, and it was assumed that, above a breast high wall of dry stone, the superstructure was of timber with a thatched roof. The dwelling appears to have been surrounded by a rectangular enclosure with a boundary wall, now traceable as a stony bank, and an outer ditch. Finds, including coarse pottery and coins from Caracella to Tetricus I, indicate occupation of the site from circa AD 200 to 280. The absence of any bronze objects or fine pottery (only two sherds of undecorated samian were found) points to the comparative poverty of the inhabitants. The site is now heavily overgrown; no extant remains. (1)
SK 5268. Stubbins Wood, Shirebrook. An aisled Roman agricultural building of 3rd century date, measuring 24.7 x 9.1 - 12.2m has been partially excavated. The aisle measured 3.05m and six post holes, 1.83m apart, were cut into limestone for posts up to 0.15m. in diameter. The stone based outer walls had a door in the long side with a paved area 1.83m. sq. outside. Contained domestic pottery, brooch, coins and hearth in the south aisle. The building is of simple type with a few flimsy subdivisions (2). Although the structure has been classified as a villa (3), it is arguably not much higher in architectural status than many of the enclosed peasant settlements (4). The building seems to have lain centrally within an enclosure, the west and east limits of which were traced as a low bank. Pottery included Derbyshire Ware and Torksey Ware. (1-6)
Article in serial: Kay, S. 1956. 'A Romano-British building in Stubbin Wood, Langwith Junction, near Shirebrook', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. 76, pp 1-9, plan, illust.
Personal Observation: F1 FC 05-SEP-66.
Bibliographic reference: Morris, P. 1979. 'Agricultural Buildings of Roman Britain', British Archaeological Report, 70. pp 64, 140, 150, 153-4.
Bibliographic reference: The Coritani 1973 78 (M Todd).
Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 94-5.
Bibliographic reference: Whitwell, J B. 1982. 'Coritani', British Archaeological Report 99. pp 113, 139, 304.
Article in serial: Kay, S. 1951. 'A Romano-British site at Shirebrook', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 71, pp 79-80.
Unpublished document: Kay S O 30-May-1956 Corres to Oakley R H.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 5243 6845 (183m by 253m) (Centre)
SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
SHIREBROOK, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2018 4:20PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.