One of the best 18th century mills in the county, sited on the River Lathkill, the mill is stone-built and contains 19th century water-driven equipment. The water wheel is 6.5m (21ft) diameter and 1.6m (5ft) wide and drives 5 sets of stones. The drive is taken from the shaft via bevel gearing for each set of stones. To the east of the mill is a drying or malt kiln, with a louvred ventilation turret. (1-5)
Alport water mill is located in probably one of the most beautiful situations of any mill, certainly in Derbyshire, and is owned by the Haddon Estate. The stone, two storey mill, is built on the banks of the River Lathkill and it can easily be viewed, complete with its kiln at the rear of the building, from the adjacent river bridge. It is not open to the public. A mill is not listed here in the Domesday survey in 1086 but in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) a corn mill was granted to the canons of Darley Abbey by Henry, son of Fulcher. In the late 13th century Richard of Harthill granted the canons licence to raise their mill pool at Alport and in return they gave Richard the right to grind his corn for his own house. The present, probably early Victorian, mill complex has an iron breastshot waterwheel with a ring gear drive, about 21ft diameter by 5ft wide, which is still in place on the south-east wall of the mill. Direct access to the wheel is not, however, readily possible, being surrounded by a high wall. The tailrace, which runs in a tunnel, has its outlet further downstream. Inside the mill the lineshaft drive to operate five pairs of stones is still intact and there remains a considerable amount of machinery. On the first floor a row of five pairs of millstones, complete with vats and all the wooden furniture, is still in place. On the floor above, a large wooden grain hopper stretches right across the mill building. An attic walkway is built into the roof. At the rear of the mill is a two storey building containing a brick-arched kiln connected directly to the mill. At the side of the mill, by the River Lathkill, there is a single storey lean-to which presently contains no mill equipment. It is not clear how this was used in the working mill. In 1969 it was reported that the mill 'had operated until recently … for cattle, pig and poultry food'. The mill is presently owned by the Haddon Hall estates and, since the ground floor is now used as a trout hatchery, it is not open to the public. (6).
Grade II listed cornmill, now trout farm, built in the 18th century with mid 19th century alterations and additions. It was constructed of coursed limestone rubble, except the west wall, dating from the 18th century, which is part coursed squared gritstone, with gritstone dressings and quoins. It is an irregular plan with the 18th century mill to the south, 19th century addition to the rear and two single storey lean-tos at different levels to west. The rim-drive 19th century water wheel, 21 feet in diameter and five feet wide, is attached to east side of 18th century section. A drying kiln is also present at the 19th century addition. This is known to have been the site of a watermill since the 12th century. (7).
Three storey gritstone and limestone water mill with weir on the River Bradford, marked as a flour mill in 1902. Water wheel and wheel pit on the south side: small engine house with chimney to the north. (8)
The area around the mill was subject to a desk-based assessment in 2008, during which a number of landscape and mill features were photographed. (9)