Building record MDR8710 - Errwood Hall (remains of), Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1830 AD to 1930 AD)
- YOUTH HOSTEL (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1930 AD to 1934 AD?)
- None recorded
A turreted stone double winged house built in the 1830s in an Italian villa style by Samuel Grimshawe. It had a central tower and a chapel which formed the upper storey of an extension to the north. The south front had two storeys with five bays and Venetian windows, whilst the centre had arched French windows which opened onto a terrace. The estate was sold to Stockport Corporation in 1930 and the house was occupied by the YHA until 1934, after which the house fell into desuetude. (1). The ruins of Errwood Hall mostly comprise wall which are c.1m high. After demolition in the 1930s it was made safe in the 1960s. The exceptional part of the ruins is a large portion of the southern wall which faced the garden. This stands to nearly the base of the first floor level and includes a door and three windows. Two are French windows flanking the door, the other is a three light Venetian window. Originally the house was three storeys and built in Italian villa style. It has three main wings around a courtyard. Although it is stated that it was constructed in the 1830s, it may have been in the 1840s as it does not appear on maps of 1836, c.1840 and 1845. Errwood Hall was sold in 1930 and Stockport Corporation used it until 1934 as a youth hostel at which date it was abandoned, then demolished shortly after. At the south side of the hall are the earthworks of a small formal garden. (2). Photographic record (3,4).
- <1> SDR4297 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. p 34.
- <2> SDR600 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. Feature 89, pp 26-27.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1986: .9-10.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1986: 528.1-7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0078 7478 (35m by 58m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2015 2:20PM