'Moorhigh Mine (Lead) (Disused)' is marked within a walled-off area set in a larger area of old lead mining earthworks on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (1)
Moorhigh Mine (Maury Mine). The lead hillocks in this area were walled out after 1848, suggesting either that this mine continued to be used well into the 19th century, or that the hillocks were not grassed over and thus were a danger to stock; the mine was certainly disused by 1880. It was probably well-established by the 17th century as presumably the old 'Mawrey Sough', first recorded in 1653, was dug to drain it at some depth. A new sough was driven from river level in the 18th century, finally reaching Maury Mine in 1774, when it was found that most of the ore had been removed previously. The walled area is almost entirely filled with mine hillocks. There is also a fine example of a gin circle, representing the site of winding gear for the large shaft adjacent to the south, with a smaller climbing shaft to the east. (2)
Extensive hillocks lie within a large belland yard at Maury or Moorhigh Mine, the wall of which was probably not built until after 1848 as it is not shown on the tithe map of this date. Many of the hillocks have been turned over and part removed, probably in the 19th century, so that many features expected to be found associated with the dressing floors are no longer present. However, two adjacent shafts, now capped, remain. Next to the engine shaft is one of the best remaining examples in the orefield of a gin circle, 11.5m in diameter. There is also a drywalled coe, the remains of a small sludge or buddle dam and a possible water storage pond, as well as a small feature of uncertain interpretation, but possibly a small ore-storage bin or the surround for a knockstone. There is a documentary reference to the mine in 1653, although mining may have been taking place here much earlier. (3)
Features in this area include a fine walled gin circle, associated capped shafts, ruined coes and a small ore bin or the surround to a knockstone. (4)
Maury Mine and associated features were scheduled in March 2013. For details, see the scheduled monument description. (5)
Old spoil heaps indicate the position of the disused mines. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Article in serial: Barnatt, J and Heathcote, C. 2003. 'The Maury and Burfoot Mines, Taddington and Brushfield, Derbyshire', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 15, No. 3, pp 45-50.
Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No. 52, pp77-78.
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2013. Scheduling notification: Maury Mine and Sough. List entry no. 1412310.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1452 7282 (147m by 99m) (Centre)
TADDINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 9:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.