Monument record MDR932 - Roman camp?, Lombard's Green, Parwich
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
At Lombard's Green "on a level piece of ground near the summit of a very high eminence" are faint vestiges of a Roman station occupying half an acre. There are about twelve enclosures, "oblong, semi-circular and square", the foundations of walls being still visible. About 1769 a Roman coin hoard including coins of the Triumvirate and Nero to M. Aurelius was found with "a military weapon" and an "urn of very great thickness". (1,6). The Tithe Map shows a sub-rectangular enclosure here, approximately 50 metres by 35 metres with a bank or track extending from the north west corner to SK 18585557 where it turns south joining the road at SK 18625528. Another rectangular enclosure approximately 20 metres by 10 metres is shown at SK 18815555. (2). Earthworks at Parwich Hill, at Lombard's Green, where a workman mining for lead in 1769 found a 'military weapon', an urn and 80 denarii including some Triumvirate, two Nero, one Vitelius, five Vespian, five Domitian, eight Nerva, 15 Trajan, 15 Hadrian, one Sabina, five Pius, one Lucilla, two Aurelius, four Faustina and others. (7). (SK 18755560) CAMP (site of). (9). (Centred SK 18675567). Enclosures bounded on the west by traces of lead mining. (10). Remains of rough stone walls indicating both enclosures and building sites, and associated with quarrying in this area, are undoubtedly relics of 18th century mining. A small, completely earth platform however at SK 18825557 appears disassociated and of greater antiquity though there is no evidence of a Roman origin. Surveyed at 1:2500 in 1966. (11). Photographic record. (13)
- <1> SDR13082 Bibliographic reference: Pilkington, J. 1789. A View of the Present State of Derbyshire, Volume 2. pp 284-285.
- <2> SDR15322 Map: Anon. 1846. Tithe Map and Apportionment Parwich.
- <3> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p154.
- <4> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby.
- <5> SDR16229 Article in serial: Watkin, W. 1886. 'The Roman minor settlements, camps, discoveries of coins etc, and roads in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. Volume 8, pp 190-215. p193.
- <6> SDR1498 Article in serial: Haverfield, F. 1895. Archeologia 54. p492. p492.
- <7> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p260.
- <8> SDR4425 Article in serial: Hamnett, R. 1908. 'Excavations at the Roman Camp of Melandra, 1906-1907', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. pp 319-323.
- <9> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <10> SDR1494 Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force (RAF). 1957. Aerial photographs: F21/58/RAF/2315 Nos 0241-2.
- <11> SDR6298 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-JUL-66.
- <12> SDR9896 Index: NDAT. 1690. 1690.
- <13> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 11514.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1881 5557 (23m by 28m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2010 11:34AM